"You don't have to wait for a special occasion to enjoy a cupcake - although you might find that sharing a batch makes even an ordinary day seem that much more sweet."- Martha Stewart

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jori's Wedding Cake

In addition to the 120 cupcakes Jori wanted we also did a three tier funfetti cake with buttercream frosting and fondant. It was an outdoor wedding late in the afternoon and so of course my first concern was how the cake and frosting would hold up in the heat. I never bake my cakes ahead of time and freeze them because I want them to be as fresh as possible, but I was tempted this time simply to help keep them cold in the heat. Instead of freezing them, though, I just kept them refrigerated unless I was actively working on that individual cake. Unfortunately, the heat still got to the cakes and they started to droop a little. I had put wooden dowels in each layer to help support it but they still leaned some. These pictures are before I fixed the leaning.

This is a picture of all of the cakes and cupcakes awaiting frosting.


This is a picture of the whole cake before I fixed the leaning. You can also see the cupcakes scattered around the cake table.




The bottom layer had light and dark blue fondant stripes with a shell border on the bottom and royal icing flowers the same as on the cupcakes.



The middle layer had a layer of dark blue fondant cut into the shape of waves with a smaller layer of light blue fondant waves put on top. Again we put the same shell border with royal icing flowers.


The top layer was the same as the bottom using light and dark blue fondant stripes with the same border.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Craig and I met at "Ricks College" in 1994. We were married in San Diego in June of 1995 which means we will celebrate our 18th anniversary this year. Time flies when you're having fun. We lived in Idaho for about 2 years after we were married. Sari was born in Idaho. We moved to California shortly after she was born. We've lived here for about 16 years. Ashlie and Tyler joined our family in California. We have lots of fun just relaxing and hanging out. If you are interested in seeing some of my cake creations you can follow my blog at www.letsbakesomecake.blogspot.com or find me on Facebook, I'm "The Cake Lady"!