"You don't have to wait for a special occasion to enjoy a cupcake - although you might find that sharing a batch makes even an ordinary day seem that much more sweet."- Martha Stewart

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Brooklyn's First Birthday

This was my niece's first birthday cake. We went with a Princess Castle since she is the only girl. I used an 8" round double layer cake. Frosted it with pink buttercream frosting. Put on a star border with little round designs made out of stars and a door on the sides. I then added white and pink gum balls. The spires on the castle are regular ice cream cones with the bottoms shaved off to make the different heights. I filled them with buttercream frosting so they could handle the weight of the sugar cone on top. I tried putting the cones on the cake first and then piping a star border around them, but realized that it would have been easier to pipe the border on first and then stick the cone into it. It was a little tricky to get my hand and the bag of frosting on the parts of the cone where there was another cone next to it :) And of course since it was her first birthday she needed her own cake. I made her a cupcake and decorated it with one spire like her cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Craig and I met at "Ricks College" in 1994. We were married in San Diego in June of 1995 which means we will celebrate our 18th anniversary this year. Time flies when you're having fun. We lived in Idaho for about 2 years after we were married. Sari was born in Idaho. We moved to California shortly after she was born. We've lived here for about 16 years. Ashlie and Tyler joined our family in California. We have lots of fun just relaxing and hanging out. If you are interested in seeing some of my cake creations you can follow my blog at www.letsbakesomecake.blogspot.com or find me on Facebook, I'm "The Cake Lady"!