"You don't have to wait for a special occasion to enjoy a cupcake - although you might find that sharing a batch makes even an ordinary day seem that much more sweet."- Martha Stewart

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Graduation Cupcakes

Of course in our school district it is called a "Promotion Ceremony"!!! So I decided to make the ever adorable graduation cap cupcakes for Sari's promotion from 6th grade. I debated on using the peanut butter cup idea or doing it out of fondant, I let Sari make the choice and she went with the peanut butter cups. They were quite easy to make and I think they turned out soooo cute!!!



First I started out with regular chocolate chips and a tad bit of vegetable oil in a bowl. I microwaved it for 15 seconds a time stirring after each time. It only takes about 1 minute total to melt the chocolate. You could also use chocolate candy melts, I just didn't have any on hand at the minute.


Then I took graham crackers and broke them into their 4 individual pieces.



I then cut each individual piece in half, so I ended up with 8 squares out of one graham cracker.



Then I completely immersed each little square in my bowl of melted chocolate. For you vinyl people out there you will notice my tool of choice to fish my graham cracker out of the chocolate :)



Then I complete unwrapped a miniature Reeses Peanut Butter cup and turned it upside on a rack.



I placed the chocolate covered graham cracker on top of the peanut butter cup.

\
After I assembled all 30 of them, it only took about 20 minutes to do all of it, I put them in the refrigerator for about an hour to help the chocolate become firm.


During that time I baked my cupcakes and allowed them to cool. When I got ready to frost my cupcakes I pulled the "caps" out and had them ready to be placed on the fresh buttercream frosting. I also sprinkled some colorful balls. After putting them all together I tinted some of the frosting green (school colors) and piped on a tassle! It would have been cuter in fondant for the tassle but I think they still turned out cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Craig and I met at "Ricks College" in 1994. We were married in San Diego in June of 1995 which means we will celebrate our 18th anniversary this year. Time flies when you're having fun. We lived in Idaho for about 2 years after we were married. Sari was born in Idaho. We moved to California shortly after she was born. We've lived here for about 16 years. Ashlie and Tyler joined our family in California. We have lots of fun just relaxing and hanging out. If you are interested in seeing some of my cake creations you can follow my blog at www.letsbakesomecake.blogspot.com or find me on Facebook, I'm "The Cake Lady"!